a) remove left turbocharger
b) remove fuel injection lines (left side)
c) remove left camshaft housing
1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Disconnect wiring from water temperature shutoff sending unit (1). Disconnect all water lines from water termperature regulator housing. Attach a hoist to regulator housing. Remove all regulator housing-to-cylinder head mounting bolts (2) and nuts. Remove the water temperature regulator housing (3).
3. Remove the aftercooler vent lines. Remove the aftercooler water inlet line (4). Remove the engine front lifting bracket.
4. Disconnect governor linkage from governor. Remove governor control channel assembly. Remove the fuel injection pump housing-to-left cylinder head mounting bracket (5).
5. Remove the aftercooler water outlet line mounting bolts from left aftercooler housing. Rotate the water line (6) away from cylinder head.
6. Remove the four exhaust elbow bracket mounting bolts (7) from the left cylinder head. Loosen the four exhaust elbow bracket mounting bolts in right cylinder head.
7. Remove the cylinder head retaining nuts and washers. Attach a hoist and remove the cylinder head assembly - weight 650 lbs. (295 kg).
NOTE: It is not necessary to remove spacer plate unless spacer plate gasket has been leaking or was damaged during removal of cylinder head assembly.
Install Left Cylinder Head Assembly
1. Clean the top surface of spacer plate and mating surface of cylinder head. Install the head gasket and water seals (1).
2. Attach a hoist and position the cylinder head assembly on engine. Coat the threads of retaining studs with 9M3710 Anti-Seize Compound. Install washers and retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts in following Step sequence:
1 Tighten all nuts in numerical sequence shown to 175 lb. ft. (24,2 mkg).
2 Again tighten all nuts in numerical sequence shown to 250 lb. ft. (34,6 mkg).
3 Finally hand tighten all nuts in numerical sequence shown to 250 lb. ft. (34,6 mkg).
3. Install the four exhaust elbow bracket mounting bolts in left cylinder head. Tighten four elbow bracket mounting bolts in right cylinder head.
4. Position the aftercooler water outlet line and install mounting bolts.
5. Install the fuel injection pump housing-to-left cylinder head mounting bracket. Install governor control channel assembly. Connect governor control linkage.
6. Install the engine front lifting bracket. Install aftercooler water inlet line. Install aftercooler vent lines.
7. Attach a hoist and position the water temperature regulator housing on engine. Install all regulator housing mounting bolts and nuts. Connect water lines to regulator housing. Connect wiring to water temperature shutoff sending unit.
8. Fill the cooling system.
a) install left camshaft housing
b) install fuel injection lines
c) install left turbocharger