a) remove oil pan
b) remove alternator
c) remove crankshaft pulley
1. Remove the breather tube from the valve cover and timing gear cover. Loosen clamp (1) for the oil cooler.
2. Remove tube assembly (2) and loosen clamp (3).
3. Disconnect oil pickup tube clip (4) from bracket (5).
4. Remove the top two bolts for the water pump. Install tooling (A) and fasten a hoist.
5. Remove bolts (6) that hold the timing gear cover in place. Remove timing gear cover (7). The weight is 60 lb. (27 kg).
Install Timing Gear Cover
1. Clean the old gasket from the contact surfaces of the timing gear cover and timing gear plate.
2. Install a new gasket. Cut the gasket even with the bottom face of the cylinder block. Put 5H2471 Gasket Cement on the bottom of the gasket where the gasket makes contact with the gasket for the oil pan.
3. Install tooling (A) as shown and fasten a hoist. Put the water ferrule, seal and clamp in position on the back side of the timing gear cover. Install the clamp with the adjustment screw toward the top and approximately 45° to the right of the vertical (as seen from the front of the engine). Make sure the seal is installed all the way into the counterbore before the clamp is tightened.
4. Put timing gear cover (1) in position on the timing gear plate and install the bolts that hold it in place.
5. Tighten clamp (3) and install tube assembly (2).
6. Connect oil pickup tube clip (4) to bracket (5).
7. Tighten clamp (6) for the oil cooler.
8. Install the breather tube to the valve cover and timing gear cover.
a) install crankshaft pulley
b) install alternator
c) install oil pan