a) remove front timing gear cover
1. Rotate the crankshaft to top dead center compression stroke No. 1 piston. See LOCATING TOP DEAD CENTER COMPRESSION POSITION FOR NO. 1 PISTON in TESTING AND ADJUSTING.
2. Remove the left valve cover and install timing pin in slot in left camshaft housing.
3. Remove the water pump drive idler gear (1). Using tool setup (A), remove bearing from gear. Remove idler gear thrust washer.
4. Remove the idler gear (2). Using tool setup (B), remove bearing from idler gear. Remove the idler gear thrust washer.
5. Remove the aftercooler water pump.
6. Remove the crankshaft gear (3) retaining bolts and locks. Remove the crankshaft gear.
7. Remove the front timing gear plate mounting bolts and locks. Remove the front timing gear plate (4).
8. Remove the oil line (5).
9. Remove the shaft mounting bolts and lock (6).
10. Remove the shaft (7) and camshaft drive idler gear (8).
11. Using tool setup (C), remove the bearing from camshaft drive idler gear.
Install Front Timing Gears And Plate
1. Using tool setup (C), install bearing in camshaft drive idler gear. Install the idler gear, shaft, retaining bolts and lock on engine. Install oil line.
2. Position front timing gear plate on the engine and install mounting bolts and locks. Trim the plate-to-cylinder block gasket flush with the bottom face of block.
3. Install the crankshaft gear with chamfer on bore of gear toward rear of crankshaft. Install retaining bolts and locks.
4. Install bearing in idler gear using tool setup (B). Install the thrust washer and idler gear on engine with "V" mark on idler gear aligned with "V" mark on the crankshaft gear.
Always be sure that the No. 1 piston is at top dead center compression stroke; the timing bolt is installed in flywheel; and timing pin is installed in timing slot in left camshaft housing before installing idler gear. Damage to the engine may result if the above procedure is not followed.
5. Install the bearing in water pump drive idler gear using tool setup (A). Install thrust washer and idler gear on engine.
6. Remove all timing pins and timing bolts from their respective timing holes. Install timing pins and bolts in their storage positions.
a) install front timing gear cover
b) install aftercooler water pump
c) install left valve cover