Personal injury can result from hydraulic oil pressure and hot oil.
Hydraulic oil pressure can remain in the hydraulic system after the engine has been stopped. Serious injury can be caused if this pressure is not released before any service is done on the hydraulic system.
Make sure all of the work tools have been lowered to the ground, and the oil is cool before removing any components or lines. Remove the oil filler cap only when the engine is stopped, and the filler cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
If the machine moved while testing the parking brake, inspect the parking brake components for wear or damage. Repair or replace the worn or damaged parking brake components as required before returning the machine to service.
The purpose of the Service Test is to provide the operator a way to test the Parking Brake. The middle light position is for the Parking Brake.
Test the brakes on a dry, level surface. Make sure that the area around the machine is clear. Move the machine away from other operating machines and away from personnel.
Make sure that the steering frame lock link is in the stored position.
Fasten the seat belt before you test the brakes.
Before performing this test, the following criteria must be met:
- The light for the Parking Brake Test must be on
- The machine must not be moving
- The service brake depressed less than 10 percent
- The parking brake must be enabled
- Engine speed must be greater than 1700 rpm
Press the Test button (1) to cycle between the Service Tests. The middle position (2) is for the Parking Brake. Press and hold the button after the middle position has been selected. While the Parking Brake test is active, the light (2) will blink.
- Press and hold the button for 2 seconds.
- Shift the transmission selector to Forward or Reverse.
- The machine must not move.
- If the machine moves, repair the parking brake before putting the machine into service.
- Move the machine to a smooth, horizontal location that is away from operating machines and away from personnel.
- Place the transmission direction in the NEUTRAL position.
- Engage the parking brake.
- Lower the bucket or the work tool to the ground.
- Stop the engine.
Illustration 2 g02703117
- Install the steering frame lock.
- Block the wheels.
- Relieve hydraulic pressure.
Reference: For more information about relieving the hydraulic pressure, refer to the Service Manual module Testing and Adjusting, "System Pressure - Release" for the machine that is being serviced.
Reference: For more information about preparing the machine for Testing and Adjusting, refer to the Service Manual module Testing and Adjusting, "Machine Preparation for Testing and Adjusting" for the machine that is being serviced.
|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
|A||1U-5230||Hand Hydraulic Pump||1|
- Disconnect hose assembly (1) and remove fitting (2).
Illustration 4 g02830936
- Install pressure tap (3).
Illustration 5 g02831016
- Install Tooling (A) in order to release the parking brake. Be sure that the wheels are chocked.
Illustration 6 g02839759
- Tighten adjusting screw (5A) until the brake shoes clamp tight against the rotor (8).
Illustration 7 g02839936
- Tighten bolts (5B) until the bolt heads contact the polyurethane springs. Once contact with the springs is made, turn the bolts an additional 240 +/- 5 degrees.
- Once the preload is set, tighten jam nuts (5C) against the mounting bracket to a torque of
271 N·m (200 lb ft). Illustration 8 g02840136
- Adjust socket head bolt (5D) until contact is made with the bump stop on the mounting bracket. Back off socket head bolt (5D) 1/4 of a turn and lock in place. Lock socket head bolt (5D) in place by tightening the jam nut against the inner hex nut on the socket head bolt. Tighten the jam nut to a torque of
44 ± 3.4 N·m (33 ± 3lb ft). Illustration 9 g02840244
- Back off adjusting screw (5A) half of a turn.
Illustration 10 g02840284
- Disconnect Tooling (A). Install cap (5E).
Illustration 11 g02840380
- Install fitting (2).
Illustration 12 g02840393
- Connect hose assembly (1).
- Follow up the adjustment procedure with the test procedure to verify that the parking brake is adjusted properly.