- Truck Engine:
- C15 (S/N: BXS1-UP; MXS1-UP; NXS1-UP)
This special instruction explains the installation of a secondary crankcase breather kit for the above listed engines. Do not begin the installation until you have read the information that is contained in this instruction.
There are four different secondary crankcase breather kits that are available for the above listed engines. The part numbers for the kits are specific to the engine arrangement for a engine serial number. The part numbers for the engines are listed below:
- 292-4302 Breather Kit for arrangements with a front sump engine oil pan and a middle mounted fuel filter
- 292-4303 Breather Kit for arrangements with a rear sump engine oil pan and a middle mounted fuel filter
- 292-8393 Breather Kit for arrangements with a front sump engine oil pan and a high mounted fuel filter
- 292-8394 Breather Kit for arrangements with a rear sump engine oil pan and a high mounted fuel filter
Note: A 293-7545 Breather Kit is needed for S/N:MXS and ; S/N:NXS for attaching the disposal hose to the secondary breather. The 293-7545 Breather Kit is not required for the S/N:BXS serial number prefix.
|Service Parts    |
|Part Number    ||Part Name    ||Quantity    |
|308-9305    ||Breather Filter    ||1    |
|5H-6734    ||O-Ring Seal    ||1    |
|322-2816    ||Wear Pad    ||1    |
(2) 322-2816 Pad
(3) 308-9305 Breather Filter
The 322-2816 Pad sits in the bottom of the canister below the 308-9305 Breather Filter in order to prevent wear of the canister from the element. The 322-2816 Pad should be located squarely in the bottom of the canister with the hole in the center in line with the outlet in the bottom of the canister.
- Remove the disposal tube that is currently on the engine.
- If it is possible, move the valve cover that contains the breather to the front of the engine.
- Remove the block rail plug that will be used for the oil drain back line. This will be located in the shallow part of the oil pan. Install the 118-5068 O-Ring Seal and the 158-6457 Check Valve (1) on the drain tube (2). Install the drain tube to the rail of the block. Use one 0S-0509 Bolt (3) and one 5M-2894 Hard Washer (4) to fasten the drain tube to the block.
- Install the secondary breather and the bracket by using the following instructions. Use the instructions that follow. Use the correct instructions with the correct part number of the kit.
- This secondary breather (11) will be located on the left rear side of the cylinder head (7) .
- Assemble the breather to the bracket (5) by using two 0S-1591 Bolts (10) and two 9S-8752 Full Nuts (9) .
- Install the bracket (5) and breather (11) to the cylinder head (7) by using two 0S-0509 Bolts (8) and two 5M-2894 Hard Washers (6) .
The middle mounted breather kit will be located on top of the surge tank for the air compressor.
Note: Engines that are equipped with a two cylinder air compressor use a 296-3001 Bracket .
- Remove the hose barb coupler for the inlet and install a 180-1548 Connector . Orient the elbow in order to allow the hose connection.
Note: The housing and the bracket are plastic. Do not overtighten the housing and the bracket.
- Remove the three bolts that are mounting the surge tank to the block. Install the bracket loosely by using two 1A-5964 Bolts , two 132-7551 Spacers , and washers in the bottom and top rear. Install the spacers between the bracket and the surge tank in order to prevent the fuel line from rubbing on the bracket. Install the 1A-5964 Bolt and 132-7551 Spacer .
- Tighten the bottom bolt and the top rear bolt.
- Remove the front bolt and install the breather. The front bolt extends through the breather, the bracket, the spacer, and the surge tank.
- Install the 0S-1591 Bolt and 9S-8752 Full Nut . Tighten both mounting bolts for the secondary breather.
- Install the drain hose.
- Install the hose barb coupler on the check valve and on the breather. Cut a 3/8 inch piece of 5P-1442 Hose to length and install 5P-4961 Hose Clamps on each end of the hose.
- Route the hose in order to prevent rubbing.
- Install the disposal hose.
Instructions by Serial Number
For S/N:BXS engines, refer to the following steps.
- Route the original disposal tube from the original primary breather to the secondary breather and cut the tube to length.
- When you are routing the hose, avoid sharp bends. For the secondary breather outlet hose, use a 2S-3440 Hose Clamp and 253-1788 Hose .
- Ensure that there are no sharp bends when you are routing the hose.
- The hose outlet must exit at least two inches below the front axle. Cut the end of the hose at a 45 degree angle in order to provide a condensation drip.
For those engines with serial number prefixes S/N:MXS or ; S/N:NXS, use the parts in the 293-7545 Breather Kit for the following steps.
- Install a 186-4949 Hose to the valve cover by using the original clamp for the disposal tube.
- Install a 2S-3440 Hose Clamp . this will allow the connection of the bulk one inch hose and the elbow to the secondary breather.
- Install two 2S-3440 Hose Clamps on both ends of the one inch hose. Ensure that there are no sharp bends in the hose when you are routing the hose.
- Use a 2S-3440 Hose Clamp and a 253-1788 Hose for the secondary breather outlet. Ensure that there are no sharp bends in the hose when you are routing the hose. The outlet of the hose must exit at least two inches below the front axle.
- Cut the end of the hose at a 45 degree angle in order to provide a condensation drip.