Electronic Unit Injector - Adjust
Note: For the SDP engines, it is not necessary to remove the variable valve actuators.
(1) Rocker arm
(2) Adjustment screw
To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:
- Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".
- Turn unit injector adjustment screw (2) clockwise until contact with the unit injector is made.
- Tighten the adjustment screw to an additional 2 turns.
- Turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise for 2.5 turns.
- Turn the adjustment screw until the screw makes contact with the electronic unit injector.
- Turn unit injector adjustment screw (2) clockwise for an additional 180 degrees.
- Hold the adjustment screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).
- To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.
- Repeat Steps 5 through 7.
- Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.
Caterpillar Information System:
C3.3 Industrial Engine Accessory Drive - Remove and Install
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Air Compressor Leaks Oil
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Air Compressor Leaks Coolant
C7.1 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines Exhaust Manifold
C7.1 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines Flywheel
C6.6 Industrial Engine Fuel Priming Pump
C6.6 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines Fuel Injection Lines
C6.6 Industrial Engine Fuel Transfer Pump
C9 Generator Set Fuel System - Prime
C15 and C18 Petroleum Generator Sets After Starting Engine
3512C and 3516C Marine Auxiliary and Generator Set Engines Before Starting Engine
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Air Compressor is Noisy
C32 Marine and Auxiliary Marine Engines Engine Oil Filter Base - Remove
C7.1 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines Front Housing and Covers
C9 Generator Set Engine Crankcase Breather - Clean
C7.1 (Mech) Industrial Engine Oil Pump
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Excessive Build-Up and Recover Time
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Excessive Oil at Exhaust Ports or Air Strainer
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Air Compressor Governor - Test and Adjust
Caterpillar 270 Air Compressor Discharge Valve Leakage - Test
C7.1 (Mech) Industrial Engine Gear Group (Front)
3126B Petroleum Engine Water Temperature Regulator Housing - Remove and Install
C18 Petroleum Generator Sets Generator Lead Connections
C32 Marine and Auxiliary Marine Engines Engine Oil Filter Base - Disassemble