|Tool||Part Number||Part Name||Qty|
|A||150-3992||Timing Pin (Fuel Injection Pump)||1|
|C||9U-6198||Crankshaft Turning Tool||1|
- Remove the water pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Water Pump - Remove".
- Remove the fuel injection lines. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Lines - Remove and Install".
Note: SERVICE DATA: TOOLING (ZZ) WILL NOT BE IDENTIFIED IN PHOTOGRAPHS IN THE REMOVAL OR THE INSTALLATION. THIS TOOLING IS SHOWN IN ORDER TO ASSIST THE EXPERIENCED SERVICEMAN.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Ensure that the No. 1 cylinder is at the top center compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel Injection Timing - Check".
Illustration 1 g00944616 Fuel Injection Pump Gear Illustration 2 g00944974
- Insert Tooling (A) in the hole of the fuel injection pump gear, through the slot in the hub and into the timing hole of the Fuel Injection Pump (X). If Tooling (A) can be fully inserted, the fuel injection timing is correct. There should be no resistance when Tooling (A) is inserted.
Note: Do not remove hub nut (1) from the shaft of the fuel injection pump. The hub of the fuel injection pump is installed in the correct position from the factory in order to ensure proper timing. If hub nut (1) is removed and the hub is removed, the hub will need to be accurately installed on the shaft of the fuel injection pump by the use of special equipment. Refer to your Caterpillar Dealer for more information.
- Loosen bolt (8) and remove spacer (9). Tighten bolt (8) in order to prevent the shaft of the fuel injection pump from rotating.
Note: Bolt (8) and spacer (9) might be replaced by plug and seal depending on when pump was built.
Note: Do Not rotate the crankshaft.
- Remove bolts (3) and washers.
- Disconnect tube assemblies (4).
- Pull locking mechanism (5) in order to disconnect harness assembly (6).
- Remove the bolt and nut (10).
- Remove nuts (7) in order to remove the fuel injection pump.
- Remove the fuel injection pump from the front housing.
Note: Fuel injection pump gear (2) will remain inside of the front housing.
- Remove the O-ring seal from the hub of the fuel injection pump.