- Machine Engines: C-9 3046 3054 3056 3056 and 3064 3066 3116 3126 3176 3196 3306 3406 3408 3412 3456 3508 3512 3516
A new attachment has been developed for Caterpillar machine engines. The Cat QuickEvac system is used in order to reduce the time that is spent on the regular service intervals of the engine. The system uses compressed air to purge the used oil out of the filters and into the oil pan. The QuickEvac pump will then pump the old engine oil into environmentally safe containers. The filters can then be removed with minimal engine oil in order to eliminate oil leakage. Once the new filters are installed, the lubrication system is filled with fresh oil. The new oil is added through the filters in order to ensure that there is no contamination. The lubrication system is pressurized by the prelube cycle. This will eliminate the chance for an engine start-up without proper lubrication. This attachment can be especially economical on machines that have drain plugs that are extremely difficult to reach.
Available Tool Kit
The part number 187-1458 High Speed Oil Change Tool Gp (QuickEvac System) is needed in order to use the Cat QuickEvac technology. This tool kit is used in order to evacuate the old oil into environmentally safe containers. The tool kit includes the adapter for an air hose that is used to purge the oil filters. The tool kit also includes the remote switch that can activate the system. Only one tool kit for each location for service is necessary.
Installation of the QuickEvac Oil Lines
The following instructions are for typical examples. These instructions may vary for each of the different applications. A schematic of the oil lines is included with each parts kit.
(1) Oil evacuation bracket
(2) JIC fitting
(3) QuickEvac pump
(4) Check valve
(6) Suction hose
(7) Oil filter adapter
(8) Oil filter mounting stud
(9) Engine oil pressure switch
(10) Adapter for oil pressure switch
(11) Adapter for oil pan
Installation of the Suction Hose
(A) Pickup tube
(B) Drain adapter
(C) Banjo bolt
- Drain the engine oil from the engine oil pan.
- Install the adapter assembly for the engine oil pan (11). Refer to Illustration 3 for the exploded view for each type of application.
- Cut the suction hose (6) to the appropriate length. Assemble the hose fittings onto the ends of the hose.
Note: The diameter of the suction hose (6) should not be smaller than the hose that is provided.
- Install one end of the suction hose to the adapter for the drain plug (11) in the oil pan. Install the other end into the suction port on the QuickEvac pump (3) .
Installation of the Oil Evacuation Bracket
Oil evacuation bracket (1) can be installed on the engine or off of the engine. The bracket should be easy to access. When possible, install the bracket close to the engine oil filters. The bracket should be located away from extreme heat. Connect QuickEvac pump (3) to JIC fitting (2) that is located on the oil evacuation bracket (1) with a pressure hose.
Installation of the Oil Filter Adapter (If Applicable)
There are several different methods in order to install the pressure side of the QuickEvac pump (3) to the engine. The methods vary for each engine that is serviced. The following instructions are meant for the applications that require an adapter to the engine oil filter base. Many machines only require the installation of a fitting into a port in the engine block. Some kits may come with an adapter that will bolt directly to the engine block.
- Remove the old oil filter.
- Place the designated O-ring (5) onto the oil filter adapter (7). Hold the oil filter adapter (7) flush with the oil filter base.
- Install the new oil filter mounting stud (8) over the old mounting stud. Torque the new oil filter mounting stud (8) to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).
- Replace the oil filter onto the new oil filter mounting stud (8) .
- Thread the elbow fitting into the oil filter adapter (7). Ensure that the pressure hose will have adequate clearance.
Installation of the Check Valve
- Install check valve (4) into the elbow from the oil filter adapter (7). Tighten the check valve (4) hand tight. Do not install check valve (4) more than 540 degrees after the check valve (4) has been installed hand tight. Ensure that the arrow points toward the engine.
- Install the threaded adapter to the check valve (4).
- Cut the hose for the pressure side to length. Assemble the fittings on each end of this hose.
- Connect one end of the hose to the threaded adapter in the check valve and the other end to the quick disconnect fitting.
- Attach the quick disconnect fitting to the oil evacuation bracket (1) .
Installation of the Pressure Switch
- Install the adapter for the pressure switch (10) into an unused oil gallery in the engine.
- Install the oil pressure switch (9) into the adapter (10) .
Installation of the Electronic Components
(A) Line to the machine starter
(1) Oil evacuation bracket
(3) QuickEvac pump
(9) Engine oil pressure switch
(12) "301 OR" wire
(14) Prelube indicator light
(15) Prelube override switch
(16) Small QuickEvac wiring harness
(17) Switch/Timer assembly
(18) The main QuickEvac wiring harness
(19) "447 PK" wire
(20) "200 BK" wire
(21) "101 RD" wire
- Mount switch/timer assembly (17). The assembly should be mounted so that the long axis of the switch is parallel to the ground. Also ensure that the long axis is perpendicular to the normal direction of travel for the machine. Do not mount the switch/timer assembly (17) on the engine.
- Plug the main QuickEvac wiring harness (18) into the connector on the switch/timer assembly (17) .
- Attach red "101 RD" cable (21) to the switch/timer assembly (17). Ensure that the "101 RD" cable (21) is connected to the same lead as the jumper from the oil evacuation bracket (1). Attach orange "301 OR" cable (12) to the other terminal on the switch/timer assembly (17) .
Torque for copper terminals ... 4.5 to 5.5 N·m (40 to 50 lb in)
- Connect pink wire "447 PK" (19) of the main QuickEvac wiring harness (18) to the "NC" terminal on the pressure switch (9). Connect the black wire "200 BK" (20) to the "C" terminal on the pressure switch (9) .
- Locate the connector for the keyswitch under the dash. Disconnect the connector. Install one end of the small QuickEvac harness (16) to the harness for the keyswitch. Install the other end of the small QuickEvac harness (16) to the line to the machine starter (A). Your machine may not use a plug connector in order to join the keyswitch (13) and the line to the starter (A). For this case, the necessary adapters are included in the retrofit kit. A wiring diagram will be included with the retrofit kit.
Do not install wires directly to the starter relay. Installing wires directly to the starter relay will override neutral safety lockouts which may result in unexpected machine movement during engine start-up. Unexpected machine movement may result in personal injury or death.
- Install the prelube override switch (15) and the prelube indicator light (14) in the dashboard of the machine. The prelube override switch (15) must be mounted in order to be reached during engine cranking. The prelube indicator light (14) must be installed in order to be seen during engine cranking. Install the decal for the prelube indicator light (14) near the light in order to identify the prelube indicator light (14) from other warning lights.
- Connect the small QuickEvac harness (16) to the connector for the main QuickEvac harness (18). Attach the connector for the prelube override switch (15) and the prelube indicator light (14) to the small QuickEvac harness (16). Secure the entire harness with ties in order to avoid chafing or vibration damage.
- Ensure that all connections are tight. Reinstall all standard connections on the machine. Reinstall all terminal covers.
Modification to the Operation and Maintenance Manual
- Locate the Operation and Maintenance Manual for the machine that is being serviced.
- Remove the paper strip on Special Instruction, REHS1518 in order to expose the adhesive.
- Insert Special Instruction, REHS1518 into the first available page in Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Starting" in the Operation Section.
Oil Change Intervals with the Cat QuickEvac System
- Park the machine on a level surface.
- Engage the parking brake.
- Lower the implements to the ground (if applicable).
- Stop the engine.
Purge the Oil Filters
Hot engine components can cause injury from burns. Before performing maintenance on the engine, allow the engine and the components to cool.
- Disconnect the line to the oil filters at the oil evacuation bracket.
- Connect a compressed air line to the line to the oil filters. The adapter for the oil hose can be found in the parts kit 187-1458 High Speed Oil Change Gp (QuickEvac System) .
- Apply compressed air. The compressed air will partially purge the filters of used oil before the sump is evacuated. This process will minimize the chance of spilling any used oil when the oil filters are removed.
- Remove the air line when you complete purging the filters.
Evacuate the Oil Sump
- Connect the hose for the waste oil disposal to the oil evacuation bracket.
- Connect the other end of the hose to the container for waste in the shop or on the service vehicle. Otherwise, connect the nozzle that is supplied in 187-1458 High Speed Oil Change Gp (QuickEvac System) in order to evacuate the sump into other containers.
- Turn the QuickEvac pump to ON by depressing the button on the remote switch. Run the pump until engine oil has stopped flowing through the service tool.
Note: Dispose of drained fluids according to local regulations.
Change the Oil Filters
- Remove the old filters from the base. The chance for spillage should be small. Most of the oil was purged from the filters.
- Clean the housing base for the filters. Remove all of the old gasket material.
- Apply a thin coat of engine oil to the gaskets of the new filters.
- Install the new filters onto the base. When the gasket contacts the filter base, tighten the filter by an additional 1/2 turn or 3/4 turn.
Note: Do not fill the filters with oil before installation onto the base.
Fill the System with Fresh Oil
- Connect the hose with fresh oil to the line to the oil filters on the engine. The hose with fresh oil can be located on the service truck or in the service center.
- Fill the system with the proper amount of oil. Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual for your application for the proper oil level. Verify the oil level in the sump by checking the engine oil dipstick.
Note: There is no need to start the engine in order to check the engine oil level. The Cat QuickEvac system fills the entire oil system. This characteristic offers a true reading on the dipstick.
Close the System
- Disconnect the hose with fresh oil from the line to the oil filters.
- Connect the oil line from the oil filters to the oil evacuation bracket.
The Prelubrication System
The prelube cycle begins when the keyswitch is turned to the START position. At that time, a prelube indicator light on the dash will be illuminated in order to indicate power to the QuickEvac pump. The engine will not crank while the prelube indicator light is illuminated. The keyswitch is spring loaded and the keyswitch must be held in the START position. The prelube cycle will stop when the oil pressure reaches 28 kPa (4 psi). The QuickEvac pump will turn off when the prelube cycle is complete. The prelube indicator light will also shut off when the prelube cycle is complete. After a three second delay, the engine will crank.
There is a prelube override timer in the QuickEvac engine prelube system. This timer is activated once the engine is turned OFF. The timer will override the prelube cycle if the keyswitch is turned to START within two minutes of engine shutoff. While the timer is on, the starter will engage immediately after the keyswitch is turned to the START position. After two minutes, the timer will not override the prelube system.
The QuickEvac engine prelube system has an override switch that is located on the dashboard of the machine. The override switch may be used in order to start the engine at any time. This switch could be used if conditions prevent the QuickEvac engine prelube system from properly pressurizing the lubrication system. The switch may also be used in order to start the engine immediately. In order to crank the engine, press the prelube override switch and hold the prelube override switch while the keyswitch is turned to START and held in the START position. When the override switch is pressed, power will be cut from the QuickEvac pump. The starter will engage immediately. The QuickEvac pump will not operate while the engine is cranking or while the engine is operating. There is no three second delay when the override switch is used.
How to Order the QuickEvac System
Contact RPM Industries in order to find the part number for the QuickEvac system for your machine and other information.